Friday, October 3, 2008

Mirror Mirror on the wall....Ep2

I'd always prided myself as a good judge of character, but in this situation i had to admit defeat. Raia's cousin Rish who was a cousin twice removed from her mother's side of the family wasn't the surly, sullen Bronte-esque anti-hero i'd made him out to be.

We met with the band 'Karmacion' right after the last act left the stage at the fag end of the 'GlamBam Rock Show'(whoever had came up with such a corny label for an event must have been brain dead or plain stupid). At this time most of the crowd had tapered into a few groups huddled together spread out around the 'maidan' they'd converted into a makeshift concert ground.

Raia and i make our way to the back of the wooden stage that seemed to be in various stages of disarray. We step carefully over broken bottles of beer and try not to step onto any clumps of garbage that was tossed carelessly around. Rish and his band members are right near a small tent that contained big black boxes which i assume was all their equipment.

"Hey Hotshot!" calls Raia getting her cousin's attention. He turns around with lo behold surprise, a smile on his face. I drag my feet slowly behind my friend hoping to delay my entry into this fold. "Hey kid! Did you enjoy the show?" was the query but i could feel his eyes looking at me for an answer. I just try to avert my gaze to the night sky.

"You guys were the best!" says Raia giving him her thumbs up.

"Thanks cuz! What about your friend here? Did she get what she came here for?"

There it was that arrogant tone of voice. I began to say something to match that statement but my friend would have nothing of the sort, " Cut it out you guys! now shake hands and say truce.
I can't have my best friend and favourite cousin at loggerheads
!"

Raia had a point, it was pointless to continue acting like egoistic juvvies fighting over something so insignificant. I decide to be the one to bury the hatchet and break this bitter ice,"Fine! we'll begin on a new page! Hi! My name is Nayantara,whats' your good name please?" I say in a hoping to induce laughter accent.
"Nayantara! Now thats an awful long name for someone with a short temper!"
Wow! This guy sure doesn'tlike to quit, must be part of his brain wiring. Raia pokes him rather sharply in his rip. He winces,"Ouch! Okay!Okay!"he extends his hand towards me,"Hi, name's Rish! Rish Bond!"
I shake it with my right hand covering my mouth with the other to muffle a giggle. The guy actually had a sense og humour, the first positive thing about him so far apart from the full-of-himself air.

"So which way do you swing?Shaken or stirred?" I ask catching up with him on his Bond-ism.
" I see you follow the James Bond movies."
He got that right i was quite the Bond series afficianado,"Pretty much watched every movie they have on him."
"Who's your favourite? Connery,Moore or Brosnan?"
"Hands down Connery! How can anyone else play the Bond character to the hilt! And that killer smile..."
It was Raia who broke this reverie that Rish and I had gotten into as a result of a simple one-liner.
"Hey you two! Shall we break up this tete-a-tete and go get something to eat! I am starving!"
"Sure! There's a 'tapri' stall outside the campus that has tea and omelettes. Lets go there and continue our banter,"Rish calls out to the rest of his band members who were returning to where we were after finishing their smokes,"Hey guys! Wanna get a bite to eat?"

The other three members Joe, Roshan and Kenny whooped a whoo together and bounded over to us. A set of introductions were made since i'd never really met these guys before. I could see Raia had a particular interest in Kenny becaue i could see the way she changed her body language as soon as he said hi to her. Hmm...my friend's got a crush on this bass guitarist.
This was turning out to be some night after a pretty okie-dokie Rock Show. Wonder what was next....

********************

No comments: